Thursday, May 17, 2012

To Jamaica...

The other day, on Facebook, a friend-of-a-friend asked my friend if she knew how to, "make those bracelets with the strings? I lost my Bob Marley bracelet that said 'One Love' and I'm so sad!". Since it's rare for someone to make a friendship bracelet plea like that, these days, and my friend said she doesn't know how to make them, I volunteered.

I don't like to brag, but I'm an award-winning friendship bracelet maker. My friend says I actually don't mind bragging, at all. Is it my fault that I've won several Star Blue ribbons at the Santa Clara County Fair, between the years of 92-4?

I asked the bracelet-requester to find an example pic from the Internetz so I would know what he wanted, hoping it wasn't one of those wrapped string designs, which I actually don't know how to make. I grinned ear to ear when he sent me this picture:


This style is so easy, though it produces great results! I knew I could complete the bracelet in a day, and I did! I asked for his wrist and knuckle measurements, if he wanted any special numerology included in the design, and promised to listen to Bob Marley as I knotted the bracelet. He sent a friend request, so I was able to post progress pictures during the course of the day.


He asked for me to incorporate the number 21 into the design somehow. I included 21 rows of black in the beginning and the ends of the bracelet.



I listened to "Buffalo Soldier", "Is This Love?", "Redemption Song", and a whole lot of talk radio, from the local channel, Newstalk 810 AM. I realized that Eric Clapton totally stole the riff from "Redemption Song" for "Cocaine".


After this pic, I knotted twenty more rows of black, braided the end and was done!

The bracelet is now complete. When I updated FB with the news, the bracelet-requester was so happy that he typed all kinds of funny FB messages! He asked if he could hire me as his personal bracelet maker, but I told him I'm going back into retirement after this! I'm not going to charge him for this bracelet, but he doesn't know that yet. If I have time, I'll take a pic when I tie it on him.

And to think it all started with this:


My fingertips were already sore from the Starburst wrapper bracelet, but this project totally did them in!

He liked it! :)

-HD

3 comments:

  1. hi my name is kat ! i need some help with this bracelet ! i love the way the bracelet is nd i love bob marley(: i need help with the the lettering is there anyway tht u culd post a vid of how to do the letters for me ? thank u soo much (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the bracelet! It was a lot of fun to make! I don't have a way to take a video of myself making it, but this website has a good explanation and pictures. I hope it helps!

    http://friendship-bracelets.net/tutorial.php?id=2

    ReplyDelete
  3. thnk u soo much (: i need a few tutorials of how to make it lol (:

    ReplyDelete