Monday, October 10, 2011

Day of the Dead...


I heart shelves and repetitive themes in art. I find comfort in predictability


OMG I totally want to go to a shop like this! Look at the chocolate skulls in the background!


Sort of reminds me of those weird catacombs in France, but sweeter!


Dead bread!

These were the first group of art sugar skulls I made. They're supposed to be sleeping. They were made with natural cane sugar and had a nice, natural off-white color.

I completely broke from tradition in making these as art pieces. Traditional use of sugar skulls involve writing the name of a beloved deceased person on the skull's forehead and adding it to an altar of mementos.

Day of the Dead, 2008.


They're sort of like a cross between Marilyn Monroe and David Bowie.


I had a lot of fun/trouble with the purple hair one, but it turned out to be my favorite


Mixing up all the icing is the hardest part of making sugar skulls or easter eggs, in my humble opinion. Royal icing is dense and hard to squeeze. Mixing the different colors in separate ziplock bags is a really great technique, though!


!Muchas azucares calaveras! I don't really speak Spanish.


 Then I started exploring other ways of making calaveras azucares.

Brown sugar gave a primal/Aztec vibe that reminded me of the stone masks that National Geographic found in South American tombs.

Poking out the eyes so you can see a message inside the skull was influenced by the old panoramic Easter eggs that I made with my mother, as a child.


These were made for my friends at work. I was very happy with how they turned out!

Each skull has a one-word message inside, that you can read through the eyes. I tried to pick a word that had something to do with the personality of the intended person.


The two skulls in the back were given to a mother and her daughter, which is why they look alike.

On the right: symbolizing youth and optimism, she has full eyelashes over her eyes, yet she also cries the tears of a young girl growing up.

The other has the eyelashes under the eyes, symbolizing the tears and running mascara of the sacrifices involved with being someone's mother and growing older. Her eyebrows are knitted with concern.


Arriba! Day of the Dead, 2008. I look my aunt in these pics!>_<;


 Marigolds are a traditional Dia de los Muertos decoration. They're also used in India to decorate temples. Also, Dudley Doright is allergic to them. Day of the Dead, 2008.


I decorated my office; poor Peggy! ;P She is so tolerant of my clutter! Day of the Dead, 2008.


I've loved Frida Khalo since I was a young, uni-browed girl. Day of the Dead, 2008.


Cookies with some volume. These look like they're nice and softie!


These look like nice lil hard ginger snappies!


These must have taken forever to make! And then someone swallows it in one gulp! Such is the work of women.


Nice hair!

Dia de Los Muertos, to you!

Cute flower on the forehead.

Skulls waiting to get iced.

I heart rows and layers!

These eyebrows caught my eye.


I really dig those teeth and gums!

I like the little cross this skull is wearing as a bindi. Those eyes and eyebrows are special, too.

Bling!


Embroidered felt! I bet this feels nice and softie.




More embroidered felt! Nice color palette.

These probably took the artist hours! Japanese influenced and Day of the Dead inspired.


Authentic Mexican designs; I wanna find a lil coffin mold!


For sale in a shop in Mexico, somewhere. Cute lil hats on these ones.




-HD

No comments:

Post a Comment